Down-Home Charm Photo Album Songbank Fan-Fiction History Books Fan Art Miscellania Links
Fan-Fiction >
after X-Men #45 >
"Scars"

Scars

Warnings: Mature themes throughout the story, dealing with rape, torture and the psychological traumas of imprisonment in a concentration camp. Sexually explicit scene in Chapter 23.

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Author's Notes

Scars

PART 20

Rogue sighs, sinking deeper into the hot water of a well-deserved bubble bath. Her own bit of heaven. Within moments, Valerie Cooper's fist raps sharply on the door, demanding her attention. A second later, Mystique's voice cuts in. Rogue mentally counts to three. True to form, she hears Hank arrive to intercede.

She frowns at the rise and fall of voices arguing, disturbing thoughts which are already in turmoil. She perks up at Kurt's unexpected arrival. She hears Valerie's gasp then catches the smell of sulphur and brimstone as Kurt teleports. The hallway outside her refuge becomes blessedly silent. Rogue sinks under the water, losing herself to the swirling warmth which mirrors the swift currents of her own mind.

She doesn't want to consider Valerie's request. On the other hand, she's never left a job unfinished. It doesn't help to close her eyes. She still sees the photos of New Genosha spilling from the manilla folder. She still remembers the line of mutants being led to their deaths. Sees their faces in her dreams. With a start, Rogue breaks the surface of the water as she quickly sits up.

Could'a been Remy.

A tear slips to her cheek. She knows more than the others how close they were to losing him. And with that knowledge comes a deeper understanding of what Eric Magnus Lensherr also endured. It is this man's face which troubles her. Remy is, for all purposes, safely home. But Eric's eyes remind her of the ones left behind. The ones who still wait for the loving embrace of their families.

With the U.N.'s backing, Valerie has the authority to assemble an official investigative team, including members from Amnesty International, to return to New Genosha. Technically, Rogue is still an active operative for Amnesty International. Emotionally, she's torn between staying with Remy and jumping at the chance to deal a crippling blow to the New Genoshan camps.

Her gaze falls to the Genoshan collar on the sink. Her frown deepens. Self-consciously, one hand traces her throat, the other rests lightly against her stomach. Her jaw tightens at the bitter anger that surges through her body. Even squeezing her eyes shut doesn't help her forget the oh-so-sympathetic expression on Hank's face as they discussed the results from her latest battery of tests. Rogue sighs.

Ain't his fault, sugah.

Her laugh is short and harsh as she recalls Dr. McCoy's theory regarding the Genoshan collar.

'Bio-electrical contraceptive device'.

Birth control. Genoshan style. Rogue flicks a bubble from her knee, letting her thoughts wander. At first, she wasn't willing to listen. It was just too incredible to imagine; too illogical. After all, the Genoshans had perfected the science of bonding mutants to specially designed uniforms which would regulate all bodily functions.

Adding contraceptives to the collars just seemed to be so much over-kill. Until Kurt pointed out that there were often delays in processing the Genoshan mutants. And Rogue knew, firsthand, that the guards enjoyed taking liberties with new mutants before they were completely enslaved.

No one could have predicted the effect on her own unique physiology.

A firm knock at the door interrupts her thoughts. Rogue groans. Another knock.

"Go away!"

"Remy needs you."

"Eric?"

"Now, Rogue."

She's out of the tub, wrapped in a towel and unlocking the door in seconds. She opens it, heedless of the puddle of bubbles gathering at her feet. Eric notes her disarray without comment, drawn instead to the sudden concern in her eyes.

"What happened?"

"It would be best if you saw for yourself."

Rogue grips his arm.

"Tell me."

Eric places his hand over hers.

"The others know the truth."

Rogue sags against the door frame.

"How did they react?"

"I believe the phrase is 'all hell's breaking loose'."

"Oh mah lord."

 

Continued in Chapter 21.

 


Down-Home Charm / Fan-Fiction / Fan Artwork / History Books / Photo Album / Songbank / Miscellania / Links / Updates

Legalese: Rogue, the X-Men, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are Trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission. This is an unofficial fansite, and is not sponsored, licensed or approved by Marvel Comics.
Privacy Policy and Submission Guidelines