Down-Home Charm Photo Album Songbank Fan-Fiction History Books Fan Art Miscellania Links
Fan-Fiction >
UXM #350 Aftermath >
"Keeping It in the Family"

Stories in this series

"Having a Bad Day"
Mr. Sinister finds out about the family he never knew he had. But this isn't the Sinister we know: Think Sinister on drugs. A lot of drugs. (Warning: Some language, sexual references)

"If the Last Day Was Bad"
Sinister's home is invaded by women. (Warning: Some language, sexual references)

"Sinister, Live on Frasier"
Sinister seeks advice from a certain famous radio psychiatrist. (Warning: Some language, sexual references)

"A New Arrial"
The Essex/Darkholme clan adds a new member -- and it's not a new baby!

"Remy's Return"
Gambit finally comes back, only to learn the real truth about Rogue's past -- and his own future.

"Dear Santa"
Rogue writes her annual Christmas letter to Santa Claus and reflects on the changes in her life over the past year.

"Uncle's Day"
Sinister muses on everything from Women's Lib to parenthood to household visitors.

"Thursday's Child"
After losing Kes, Sinister spends years watching their daughter Rogue from afar.

Disclaimer: Nathaniel "Mr Sinister" Essex and Rogue are the property of Marvel Comics. The song is "Thursday's Child" by David Bowie. The song and the characters are being used without the permission of the owners. No money is being made from this story. Kes Darkholme is the property of Rhona Highet.


thursday.gif (1078 bytes)

(All of my life I've tried so hard
Doing my best with what I had
Nothing much happened all the same)

Nathaniel Essex looked at the clutter on his desk. The pile of notes. Reports on his latest experiments. All the stuff that filled the void that was his life. Everything that stopped the loneliness of his existence.

(Something about me stood apart
A whisper of hope that seemed to fail
Maybe I'm born right out of my time
Breaking my life in two)

Alone. All his life, he'd been alone. No-one had been there for him. His parents didn't understand his obsession, his passion, his work. Rebecca? His darling Rebecca. She didn't care. Their marriage had been one of ... well, it hadn't really been a marriage. They hardly knew each other. She gave him a son. He gave her security, a home, position in society. Faye? The woman who had taken the place of Rebecca for a while. She was frightened by his interests.

((Throw me tomorrow..oh,oh)
Now that I've really got a chance
(Throw me tomorrow..oh,oh)
Everything's falling into place
(Throw me tomorrow..oh,oh)
Seeing my past to let it go
(Throw me tomorrow..oh,oh)
Only for you I don't regret
That I was Thursday's Child)

Then there was that woman. She understood. That woman. What was her name? Kes? Her knowledge of his work, the same passion as his. There were other things too. Her hair, her eyes, her face. She had the most intoxicating perfume too. The night they had spent together talking about everything. They had made love. It had been so long since he had been with a woman that he had forgotten what it felt like. As much as he wanted to deny it, he could still feel emotions. Pain, hurt, love. That one night they had spent together had meant so much.

(Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday born I was
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday born I was)

The next morning she had gone. He couldn't find her. Maybe she just didn't want to be found.

(Sometimes I cried my heart to sleep
Shuffling days and lonesome nights
Sometimes my courage fell to my feet)

The years he had spent trying to find her had turned up nothing. All he had was the memory of their one night. He hadn't even known her surname. Had it been too good to be true? Everything inside him said it wasn't but loneliness could drive a man mad.

(Lucky old sun is in my sky
Nothing prepared me for your smile
Lighting the darkness of my soul
Innocence in your arms)

And then one day he saw something he hadn't expected to see. The girl, Rogue, one of the X-Men. She looked like Kes. Their hair, their eyes, their faces -- all the same. He managed to track the girl's birth place and found the hospital she had been born in. The birth certificate listed him as the father and one Kestrel Darkholme as the mother. And for the first time, Nathaniel Essex who had been transformed into the emotionless monster cried.

( (Throw me tomorrow..oh,oh)
Now that I've really got a chance
(Throw me tomorrow..oh,oh)
Everything's falling into place
(Throw me tomorrow..oh,oh)
Seeing my past to let it go
(Yeah, throw me tomorrow..oh,oh)
Only for you I don't regret
That I was Thursday's Child )

From the shadows he watched her grow. Watched the girl become the woman. Wanting to be there for her when she hurt but staying away because it was the best thing for her. He watched her fall in love, as she conquered her powers. Was there when she married. Looked on as his grandchild was brought into the world. Always from the darkness, he observed her life. Never participating.

(Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday born I was Thursday's Child
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday born I was Thursday's Child
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday born I was
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday born I was)

Nathaniel Essex - Mr Sinister -- was still a monster. He was still alone with only his work to comfort him. One thing was different now -- he had a reason for existing. He had something more to his life. And the monster cried.


Thursday's child has far to go. - Proverb

 


Down-Home Charm / Fan-Fiction / Fan Artwork / History Books / Photo Album / Songbank / Miscellania / Links / Updates

Legalese: Rogue, the X-Men, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are Trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission. This is an unofficial fansite, and is not sponsored, licensed or approved by Marvel Comics.
Privacy Policy and Submission Guidelines