Down-Home Charm Photo Album Songbank Fan-Fiction History Books Fan Art Miscellania Links
Fan-Fiction >
Alternate Realities >
"The Sun Will Shine Again"

The Sun Will Shine Again

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Sinister belongs to Marvel. Blink and Arcane belong to Shera Crawler 007 (thanks for letting me use them, She). Lizzie, Devin, and Shadow (the man formerly know at the giant without a name) belong to me, Raven Adams.
This is the last chapter. The next story, "Into the Darkness we Seep," will be out soon. other chapters of this can be sent to you by mailing me, or by going to http://ravenadams.simplenet.com/raven/cms/sun.html although, at this point, I can't be sure of that. (Someone got my password and has been erasing things. Which is one of the reasons my web page still hasn't been updated. <sigh>)


The Sun Will Shine Again

Chapter 18

Lizzie pulled her hands away from her uncle's. "I don' believe you." She whispered hoarsely. "My poppa n't do dis t' me. My poppa love me! I don' believe you, and I don' believe dat t'in' standin' outside de door! He kill my momma, n't Poppa!" Her voice rose steadily higher, as she waved her hands around with each word. She took a step back, her eyes flashing brightly a color between brown and red, disbelief and anger.

"Lizzie." Red said, his voice taking on the tone a parent would use when trying to reason with their child. He stood up from the bed, and started toward her slowly, arms outstretched and hands reaching for her.

She took another step back, and looked around for something to throw. She found a book on the nightstand, and grabbed it. "You lie!" She screamed and hurled the heavy book at him. He dodged it, and it landed on the floor with a thump. "My poppa's gonna save me! He gonna come, an' he gonna save me!" She reached for the lamp on the nightstand to throw as well.

Red sighed heavily. He jumped before she could get the lamp, and pushed her feet out from under her, pinning her to the floor. She screamed in frustration at him, and tried to pull her little hands free of his larger ones. He refused to let her go. "Lizzie, look at me." She wouldn't, she turned her head away and screamed "Let me go!" as loud as she could. "Lizzie-lizard, look at me, 'titie chere." He held both of her hands in one of his, and used the other to make her face him. "I wouldn' lie t' you. You know dat."

He brushed her cheek with the back of his hand, feeling the warm, wet tears that escaped from her eyes. He sat up, pulling her with him, her hands came up and she pounded on his chest.

"Non, non, non, non!" She cried, hitting him with her fists. Red just let her, waiting for her to wear herself out. She gasped, and let out a loud sob, calling for her mother, then collapsed on him, crying, her head resting against his chest.

He held her like that, letting her cry, stroking her hair with one hand, and whispering soothing words to her. She slid her arms around him, and cried harder, her breath coming out in great sobs.

"Go 'head. Cry, baby. S'okay." Red kissed the top of her head, and rocked her back and forth with him. "S'okay."

They stayed like that for the better part of an hour before the door opened once again, and Sinister walked in, Arcane, Blink and Devin following close behind.

Red looked up at them over Lizzie's head. She had seemed to be asleep for a while now, being so still and quiet, but once they entered, she stiffened and her breath froze. He couldn't help but wonder what they had done to her to make her this way.

Blink, whose hand was gripping the boy's, let him go. He ran over to Lizzie and dropped to his knees beside her. Lizzie instantly let Red go and tossed her arms around Devin, who returned her embrace whole-heartedly. They held on to one and other, cheek to cheek as they looked out with frightened eyes at Sinister.

Red stood, looking down at them, his face puzzled. They looked alike, exactly alike in fact. They had the same face even. He frowned, looking at Sinister, sending a silent question with his eyes.

Sinister met his gaze and simply smiled, a cold, lifeless smile that chilled his heart. Red shivered without really meaning to. The shiver wasn't from cold, but seemed to come from within as he started at that smile.

Without looking away, Sinister turned his face slightly and pointed at the children. "Blink. Take them. They will be returning...home."

Red didn't miss the pause before he said "home," but for some reason, he couldn't make himself question it. Out the corner of his eye he saw Blink reaching out and grabbing hold of the boy's arm, and pulling him up and away from Lizzie.

Lizzie screamed as Arcane grabbed hold of her, and they started to drag the two out.

"Wait! Non!" Red yelled, moving to try and get past Sinister to get to Lizzie. Lizzie cried out, reaching with her free hand toward Red, but she was quickly dragged out into the hall and away.

Sinister put a hand on Red and pushed him back. "We have a deal, Mr. Lagoski. They go home, and you stay." With that, he walked out, shutting and locking the door behind him.

Red stared at the door and wondered if Lizzie really was going to get home.


Tired of dragging a kicking and screaming little brat, Arcane punched Lizzie and knocked her out, then looked to Devin to see if he would try to do anything. Devin wisely stayed quiet and looked at her with solemn eyes. He stared at her for a moment, then turned his eyes back to the floor. He walked stiffly, still in pain from the...things that had come from his back and disappeared just as suddenly last night. Blink's grip was painful on his arm, but not quite as painful as his back, for that, he was somewhat grateful.

They walked down the corridor, IT trailing behind them. Of Shadow, there was no sign, in fact, he saw no one else other then their small group. It was as if everyone had left once IT had returned. Dev envied them.

Blink opened the door, and sunlight streamed through, causing the shadows to run and hide deep in the corridor where the sun couldn't reach. Devin squinted, putting his hand over his eyes to fend off the glare. Sinister pushed him out into the light, and he almost gagged as he took a deep breath of the fresh air. He coughed, getting the dusty must from his lungs.

His eyes watered. So used to being forced to see in fluorescent lights, his eyes were unaccustomed to the brilliance of the sun. He finally was able to open them completely, after rubbing them many times with his fists. And, once he did, he smiled, reaching out for Lizzie's limp form in Arcane's arms.

"Lizzie." He whispered. "Lizzie, the sun. I see the sun." He turned and looked toward her. IT blocked his view, and Blink started dragging him away, Arcane stood where she was, smirking smugly. "Wait, no!" He cried, trying to break free, and get back to Lizzie. Blink held fast to him, pulling him along, and tossed him into the back seat of a car. "No! Stop!" Devin could see Arcane shoving Lizzie into another car, and getting into the driver's seat just as Blink did his.

"Sit back, relax." Blink sneered looking through the rearview mirror at him. "You don't have to worry about her anymore."

Devin's eyes widened as thoughts of what those words could mean rushed through his mind. "No!" He yelled and grabbed the door handle, trying to open it. He couldn't get it unlocked, and, as he put his face up against the window, he could see Arcane's car with Lizzie in the back seat driving off in the opposite direction.

He yelled, scratched at the window until he couldn't see the car anymore. He began sobbing as he felt Lizzie's mind slipping away from his.

 

Finito.

 


Down-Home Charm / Fan-Fiction / Fan Artwork / History Books / Photo Album / Songbank / Miscellania / Links / Updates

Legalese: Rogue, the X-Men, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are Trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission. This is an unofficial fansite, and is not sponsored, licensed or approved by Marvel Comics.
Privacy Policy and Submission Guidelines