Down-Home Charm Photo Album Songbank Fan-Fiction History Books Fan Art Miscellania Links
Fan-Fiction >
Childhood

Stories by K-Nice

"And the Walls Came a'Tumblin' Down"
Remy catches Rogue in the midst of one of her more self-pitying moods and invites her along on one of his late-night partying jaunts to New York City.
"Get Some"
Rogue and Gambit play Bonnie and Clyde.
(Some sexual innuendo)
"So Fast"
Rogue and Gambit experience the pain, disorientation and fear of a major life-changing event.
"Happiness"
17 years after the events in "...Walls...," Rogue and Gambit, now happily married and with children, reconsider what their happiness really means.
"Pro Veneratio"
Rogue and Gambit mourn the loss of someone dear.

"And Then I Remembered..."
Belladonna returns to Salem Center to make her peace with Gambit.

"Blood and Bone"
NYPD detectives Remy LeBeau and Ororo Munroe investigate a horrific string of rape/murders that hit closer to home than any of them realizes.

"Crown of Roses, Crown of Thorns"
After being stripped of their powers by the High Evolutionary, Rogue and Gambit meet at a bar and rehash old arguments and scars.

"Divine Retribution"
When Storm learns of Rogue's abandonment of Gambit, she avenges her friend's death in an unconventional way.

"Falling in Love: Once More, for Old Heart's Sake"
After reconciling during the Phalanx battles in space, Rogue and Gambit go for one last motorcycle ride together. Assume OZT and the Trial of Gambit never happened.

"Heated"
Excerpts of some of Rogue and Gambit's arguments come to light in this answer to Em's 350-word challenge.

"The Human Touch"
A young "Reb" recovers from a beating delivered by her mother.

"I Get So Lonely"
Rogue traces back her history with touch as an addiction and her self-imposed loneliness.

"Lost Lies"
When Gambit returns to the X-Men, he must wade through the lies and half-truths he and his teammates still tell each other.

"Maybe on Some Other Day"
Emily Darkholme and Remington LeBeau are betrothed to each other by their parents.

"Possibly in Another Life"
Six years after "Maybe on Some Other Day," Emily eagerly anticipates an upcoming ball -- and her first chance in years to see Remy LeBeau again.

"Perhaps, in Some Other Time"
The Rogue and the Gambit, leaders of the Brotherhood and the Guild, respectively, face off for what will likely be their final battle. Sequel to "Possibly in Another Life."

"Perfect Pastel Pink"
Rogue decides to indulge herself in something she never had as a teenager -- a prom dress.

"Reality"
Rogue tries to see only what she wants to see when she goes back for Remy.

"She Has Issues"
After their latest breakup, a drunken Gambit tries to call Rogue and let her know what's on his mind.

"Snipers"
Rogue accompanies Mystique on a stealth mission. Written for Em's 350-word challenge.

"Taking Prisoners"
Gambit and the Sisterhood of Evil Mutants take on the mysterious Center to save mutantkind. (Unfinished.)

elsewhere in Alykat's World:

"Beauty Comes to Those Who Wait"
After decades of marriage, Bobby and Cecilia still go to Brooklyn regularly to have Cece's braids redone.
(at (un)frozen)

"Broken Promises"
Iceman deals with his feelings of guilt and loss after his father's death.
(at (un)frozen)

"Cold Front"
When the young students of the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters enjoy the hot summer sun, Bobby longs to return to the cold. Takes place during the X-Men's early years.
(at (un)frozen)

"Spring Thaw"
Bobby decides to leave the X-Men permenantly and get a "real" life, while Gambit struggles to feel alive again after being rescued from the Antarctic. (in progress)
(at (un)frozen)

"Stolen Identities"
When Bastion came to the X-Mansion, he took everything. Now that the X-Men have returned home, each of them deals with that loss in their own way.
(at (un)frozen)

E-mail: kcmknice@yahoo.com

Website: Center Stage

Disclaimer: The X-Men characters, and all other recognizable characters are copyright to Marvel Entertainment Group. This work of FanFiction is not meant to impinge on that copyright or defame Marvel Comics or the X-Men and related characters in any way.
Copyright: This work of FanFiction is the intellectual property of K-NICE and her IRL persona. No copying, distributing or editing of this material is permitted without the express permission of the creator, K-Nice, under United States copyright law.



Fear, bright and all encompassing, shrouded her. She looked out from behind it and saw her mother's angry stare. She heard the insults hurled at her in a steady flow of loathing. Shrunken in a corner, she longed for the silence after the raging storm but was terrified of what that quiet meant. If her mother wasn't scolding angrily, she was showing Reb how much she hated giving up high scold and her friends to raise a stupid kid.

Reb waited, anticipating the swift change that would come over her mother when her anger reached it's summit. Reb trembled with sweet expectation of what was to come. She heard her mother seething curses in her direction fast and hard and then faster and harder. Her mother's climax came suddenly as she stopped screaming.

Her face burned into Reb's memory, so familiar and yet so strangely different every time she saw it. Which was often lately. She thought about the faces of the mothers of her classmates from junior high school. She was lost in a reverie, knowing that their faces must sometimes look like her mother's did now.

The fist came then, sure and swift as expected but Reb was too distracted to dodge. It hit its mark strongly and sealed her fate.

The hatred poured through he nails as they ripped at live flesh. The arms had anger-strength when they lifted the ball of human dung from the corner and slammed it against the far wall. The picture frame softened the impact and in appreciation, the flesh provided a new home for the slivers of broken glass and chunks of twisted aluminum. The body met the putrid mass before it could shrink to the floor again. The first pounded, the feet kicked, the arms threw and the hand slapped for twenty solid, hard, angry minutes before the anger subsided enough for the body to give a last kick and leave the room, vindicated.


Reb's mother went into the bathroom and took a shower, then prepared for another afternoon shift at the factory. Once outside of the shabby, whitewashed bungalow, she saw the liquor bottles that had accumulated near the garbage can throughout the week. Instead of placing them in the trash, she threw rocks at them until there was a glittering pile of broken glass. The sound that prevailed was her sigh at the sound the shattering bottles. She couldn't even afford Wild Turkey nowadays, with all the bills from that rancid waste of space she had left broken, covered in shiny bruises and glass shards on the living room floor.

Life was ironic that way.

She walked down the drive onto the dirt road to walk to the corner, where a flash of thigh might earn her a ride to work. She hoped.


The dung waited in unconsciousness for the body to leave.

Reb tried to open her eyes but they were covered with microscopic glass shavings and far to swollen to be attractive. The body thought she was ugly. Maybe it was right. She couldn't think of the thing that hurt her so badly as her mother. Her mother never touched her, only the faceless, formless body.

She couldn't move her head. She suspected she had been out cold for a good hour and probably had a crick in her neck. She stood up blindly. She was very careful not to touch herself of the wall lest she leave bloodstains on the greasy wallpaper. She shuffled her way to the bathroom.

Reb sat gingerly on the toilet seat. She slowly, meticulously picked the glass shavings off her eyes, cutting her fingers in the process. She longed to walk down the lane to Miss Anna's house. The old woman would surely know how to remove the glass best. But she just couldn't bear it, depending and telling and being touched.

She relieved her eyes of their bloating with one of her mother's steaks from the freezer. She rested her head against the tub and rested for a few minutes. When she could see again, she laid the meat carefully aside and picked the visible glass and metal chips from her skin. She carefully put them in a paper grocery bag. The bag was filled and folded and set aside for later. Reb bathed the blood away with peroxide and cotton balls, not even flinching from the sting.

Uncle John called her Reb, short for rebel, Rogue but she was not strong enough to prevent this. She felt ashamed of herself for goading her mother into such behavior. Such hatred.

She bandaged the cuts and rubbed the bruises with alcohol. She slipped into a warm tub filled with cheap dime store bubbles, bought with her birthday money. She only afforded herself a half-hour to soak but it soothed the aches and contusions. She stepped out of the tub, got a fine toothed comb and stood naked, aside from her tissue-paper thin, thigh length robe, before the bathroom mirror to comb the glass from her hair, gently picking it out of her scalp. She hoped she had removed it all but she had no more time to waste on herself.

Reb dressed in a baggy sweater and worn, faded, hand-me-down jeans. She disposed of the paper bag in the trashcans outside, carefully avoiding the mess of broken glass. She returned to the shack and got the broom and mop. She cleaned the bathroom to military specs and removed all traces of glass from the floor of the living room lest her mother cut her foot. She disposed of the glass and the rest of the picture frame in the trash.

Reb then walked down the dusty road to town and stopped into the drugstore to pick up a replacement frame with the last of her savings. She returned home and mounted it where the other had been and cleaned the blood marks form the wall.

When she was satisfied that there were no traces left, she washed her hands and retrieved the steak from the bathroom. She prepared two meals, one steak with cute little baby carrots, snap beans and mashed potatoes with gravy and a bottle of her mother's not-so-secret secret wine. The wine was cheap, the steak was on the small side but the second meal made the first seem gourmet. She quickly ate her meal of a small pork chop and soggy leftover broccoli.

Reb greeted her mother cheerfully when she returned home, hoping to get back in her good graces. She hoped the body would not hurt any more, that her mother would someday think she was real and human enough to never touch her again.

 


Down-Home Charm / Fan-Fiction / Fan Artwork / History Books / Photo Album / Songbank / Miscellania / Links / Updates

Legalese: Rogue, the X-Men, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are Trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission. This is an unofficial fansite, and is not sponsored, licensed or approved by Marvel Comics.
Privacy Policy and Submission Guidelines