(un)frozen

Disclaimer: Bobby belongs to Marvel, Rebecca belongs to me. The song is by Green Day. Please don't sue - I'm not making any money off any of this. If anyone finds this the little bit interesting, send some feedback my way please..?


Time of Your Life
by Paul Hamrick

New York
Present Day (June, 2002)

Have you ever loved?

That was the question posed, and for the life of him he couldn't think of an immediate answer. Love was something that had never been given to him, something akin to a precious gift never to be attained. He had always considered it that way, at least. Women were an enigma of sorts, never being able to be understood; but wanting to be understood all at the same time. Much too confusing, he had enough problems trying to understand himself.

"Well?"

She was getting impatient, he could tell. But she was always so cute when she got like that, the way her soft strawberry-blonde hair fell before her hypnotic emerald colored eyes. I could stare into those eyes all day, he thought to himself.

"You above all else should know I have." The conversation was becoming trivial; she wanted him to admit it. She knew it, he knew it, and they both knew it would never happen.

"Why should I know?"

Damnit, his mind screamed, You know, because I loved you!


New York
Central Park
September 1999

Bobby tucked his hands into his pockets, sighing at the dreary weather. "Why can't it just snow once? I mean, sure it's only early September. Doesn't mean it can't snow, I hate the rain."

"I like the rain, kind of cleanses away everything for the start of something new."

Bobby blinked, but turned his head at the soft female voice. His eyes stopping on said voice's owner. She was maybe a year or two older than he was. She was five foot two, soft strawberry-blonde hair and those hypnotic emerald eyes.

"Something wrong?" She smirked, her lower lip curling lightly.

Bobby blinked once, but shook his head. "Not at all, just wasn't expecting to find anyone else out here. I mean, it is pouring down rain."

She laughed, and what a beautiful laugh it was he thought. "And, as I said. I like the rain. My name's Rebecca Harper, how about you?"

"Robert Drake, but I preferred to be called Bobby."

"Well than, Bobby. A pleasure to meet you."

Bobby smiled, "Pleasure to meet you, as well."


Present Day

He composed himself lightly, looking straight into her eyes. "You know, because I loved you."

"Did you ever really love me Robert? I mean truly."

He shook his head, holding back the tears that threatened to spill down his cheeks. "You know I loved you, Rebecca. If I hadn't, I would have never asked what I had."

She gave a sardonic smirk, almost as if she was expecting that answer. "And you know why I turned you down, at least now you do."

"So? You didn't have to turn me down because of this!" He was upset, and it was showing. He was letting her get to him again.

"Why? So it could just hurt you later on? I love you Bobby, none of that was ever a lie." Lines of pain etched across her face for just a sheer moment, but just as quickly vanished.

He shook his head and looked away for a few moments, tears of remembrance sliding down his cheeks.


Christmas 1999

Bobby grinned as Rebecca opened her present. It took three weeks of enduring endless shopping trips with Jean and Betsy, but the end result was worth it. He picked out the perfect gift, he was sure she'd love it.

She slowly peeled away the carefully wrapped gift-paper, tilting her head as he looked closely at the small velvet rectangular box. She wasn't quite sure what to expect knowing Bobby's unique sense of humor. As she opened the small box, her breath literally caught in her throat. A gold chain, with a fire opal inlaid with surrounding emeralds lay inside. "Oh Bobby, it's beautiful." She leaned forward, brushing a soft kiss across his lips. "Thank you."

Despite everything, he blushed and lightly returned her kiss. "You're very welcome, 'Becca."


New York
(Present Day)

"You know I loved the gift Robert, I wore it everyday. Up until I..." Her sentence trailed off, not wanting to finish it and bring up the past.

"Until you dumped me and broke my heart." He was more than willing to finish for her, his gaze almost boring into her till it hurt to look at him. He could still clearly remember the day it happened, and the pain was just as fresh as ever.

She turned her gaze downward, an audible sigh escaping her lips. "Yes, Robert. Until I dumped you, broke your heart tore it asunder. Isn't that what you wanted me to say? I guess it never even entered your mind that I was trying to save you from more suffering later down the road. Of course, you'd probably say that that's the reason I can sleep at night, wouldn't you agree?"

He looked down, his cheeks flushing lightly. He knew her words were the truth, but he would never admit it. Not to him, especially to her, he had always wondered if his playing the hero, trying to be the star was one of the reasons it happened. Probably not, but still it made him think that it was. Ah hell, I'm running in mental circles again. Face it Drake, she doesn't want you anymore. Especially now, I mean who could? You've already proven yourself a joke, worthless to the genetic gene pool.

"Remember the time I found out? When you were forced to use your powers to save us. At first, I wasn't sure who to be more terrified of -- You or those thugs." Her voice was barely above a whisper; almost wishing she hadn't said it.

His gaze snapped upwards, a pang of pain felt within his heart. He hadn't known her feelings about that, and now it ripped him straight to the core.


Brooklyn
January, 2000

They stepped out of the theater arm in arm, both smiling happily after the show. "No matter how many times I see that movie -- it's still as moving as the first time I saw it." Rebecca was trailing on and on after a theater showing of the movie Braveheart.

"Moving? I'd call it violent more than moving, hon. I mean come on! The one guy had his leg sliced clean off. Can we say ouch?" Bobby was less enthusiastic, but he loved seeing her smile so it was all worth sitting through it.

"Ouch." Rebecca smirked and playfully slugged him in the shoulder, reaching around to tousle his hair. "Bobby, my dear. You are just no fun, none at all. Can't appreciate a true story when you see one? It's truly moving! If you could only appreciate that -- maybe I wouldn't have to do this to you."

However, before she could carry through her threat -- three men stepped from an alleyway. A gun aimed straight at Robert's chest. "Money, jewelry now or I waste you two geeks!" The one holding the gun spoke up, he was quite obviously the self-proclaimed leader of the thugs. Rebecca's hair stood up on the back of her neck -- she was scared stiff. Bobby however was stone calm -- moving his gaze slowly from one thug to the other. "You gentleman have three seconds to leave my girlfriend and I alone, before I'm forced to leave you here for the police."

The three thugs couldn't suppress a snicker as their leader pulled the hammer on the pistol back. "Is that so? Why fellows, I think this guy has some balls. Too bad." His finger depressed the trigger -- only to stop in place as it was covered in ice. Quickly followed by the other too slipping and hitting the floor -- being coated in an icy sheath from their feet to their neck. "I warned you. Come on 'Becca." Grabbing her hand he took off in a run down to the nearest phone to call 911. Rebecca however was astonished -- and more than a little frightened at this new revelation of her boyfriend.


New York
(Present Day)

"Well, now doesn't that hurt me just a little. I guess I could have done nothing -- given them the little money I did have on me and watch was they shot me and raped you. But, I couldn't do that. So I'm a mutant, big bloody deal. I'm as human as you are. Not that it seems -- was that one of the reasons you broke up with me 'Becca? Because I was different, because I wasn't 'normal'? If that's so, I poorly misjudged you. I wasted my love on a bigot."

Her gaze was cold, unfaltering as she stared at his face. Tears that she refused to let fall welled up behind pain filled eyes. "No, Robert. That wasn't why I hurt you. I don't care that you're a mutant, I never did. I loved you -- always did. I just couldn't handle this aspect of my life right now. I didn't want to hurt, kill you later on. You were the only life I had up until then. Giving -- respectful -- selfless -- loving, all I ever wanted in a relationship. And because of mistakes in the past I ruined it all. I was ready when you asked you -- I was going to say yes. But ... than the test results came back, and I knew I couldn't marry you. I never could. I couldn't risk your life -- for my own happiness. Can't you see that?"

He held his head down, taking a deep breath before he spoke. "I can see that, Rebecca. I always could. You were the one person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with -- I would have risked it all to be happy with you for life. I should go, visiting hours are about up." He stood from the chair that had occupied his time for the last few hours -- leaning over to brush a soft kiss across her forehead. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Remaining silent she simply nodded as he stepped out the door -- her eyes staring at his back as he stepped out and down the hallway.


Greymalkin Lane
(Present Day)

Robert sat at the table -- slowly sipping his cup of coffee as he looked over the daily paper. Damn you Nathan for getting me addicted to this stuff. he thought wryly -- flipping through the last remaining pages until a name caught his eye. Spreading the paper out he looked closer.

Rebecca Harper
Late last night Ms. Rebecca Harper passed away due to complications of HIV.
A long time supporter of animal rights -- and free speech.
Her mother and father survive her.

Bobby blinked his eyes a few times -- tears streaking down his face as he leaned back in his chair and cried softly. He never apologized to her -- he never got to tell her one more time how much he loves her. He curled his arms upon the table and rested his face on them, letting the grief overtake him as he heard a song playing faintly in the Rec. Room.

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road.
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to do.
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why.
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time.

It's something unpredictable
But in the end is right.
I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind.
Hang it on a shelf of good health and good time.
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial.
For what it's worth, it was worth all the while.

It's something unpredictable
But in the end is right.
I hope you had the time of your life.

So make the best of this test, and don't ask why.
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time.

It's something unpredictable
But in the end is right.
I hope you had the time of your life.

A wretched sob escaped his lips as his tears soaked his shirt -- silents hoarse whisper follows before he stands and walks up to his room. "I had the time of my life, while it lasted. I love you Rebecca."


-(main) - (biography) - (discussion) - (stories) - (pictures) - (links) - (updates)-